Monday, August 20, 2012

And that is how the week of play came to be.

Ever have one of those experiences that make you say, "huh," maybe two or three times? I had one of those tonight. Some might call it a coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidences. :) Its been rough around here lately. The kids have been at each other's throats lately, and by that I mean AT EACH OTHER'S THROATS. They've been fighting with each other, physically and verbally, while ignoring me and all my rants. And I haven't exactly been fun to live with, either. Heck, I'm getting myeslf mad, and I can't even go take a break from myself! So tonight, I was looking at Facebook, and noticed a post from a FB friend (who I don't really know, but I read her blog and we were breifly in college together), and she was talking about how she was having a water gun fight with her kids and how they were having such fun, and got them to cease fire over ice cream. I mulled her post over for a few moments thinking, "Wow. She has fun with her kids. I want to have fun with my kids." Mere moments later, Will slides off my bed, and without looking at me, and out of absolutley no where, says to me, "Mommy, why don't you play?" I was taken aback. I hadn't said a thing about the post, and we weren't talking about playing at all. At that moment, I thought to myself, "We should just play for a week. Nothing else. Just.... play...." I'm not kidding you, and this is where it gets really interesting, Will then says to me, "You know what, we should just play for a whole week. No school, no work, just play, kids and grownups." Yeah. Me, feather, knocked over. I was so convinced this was a sign, that I wasn't even surprised. It wasn't even a sign so much as a directive, almost a command: "Have fun with them." Okay. I told Jon tonight that this was in the works. One week, just play with the kids. We'll have a few obligations to attend to (karate, karate graduation, popcorn sales, Mass), and we have to keep up with dishes and laundry, because we can't go naked and starve (because, really, that won't be fun!), but aside from that, I'm just going to play with the kids. I'll keep you posted. Oh, I also said no internet for me as well. As long as they're up, I'm with them. I'll check in each morning and evening, but I"m going for broke here. I'm looking forward to it! Tomorrow morning, I'm going to sneak away to the store to get a few things (jello to make play dough, and beans and rice for playing with), but for the most part, I'm staying out of the stores. Have a fun week, my friends! :)

2 comments:

KackyK said...

Good for you guys!!!!! Have a great week!

Kathryn said...

Hope it goes well. On two separate occasions yesterday, people in stores with me said to me, "How long until they go back?" I asked if I really looked that bad, and one laughed and said, "All the moms look that way right now." I've made a concerted effort to play and have fun with the kids this summer, so that their memories are not of me yelling, but of us laughing together. Good luck.