Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Eighth Month of Gestation Ritual, Also Known As, "Oh, Crap, I Need To Get New Nursing Bras."

Well, I'm still waiting for the nesting instinct to show up. I've been so doggone tired lately that I'm ready to scream, but I'm too tired to do so. Then I thought of all the sugar I've been ingesting, and a light, ever so dimly went off. Time to cut out the white stuff. May as well be crack cocaine. Sigh.

So, yes, today I went shopping for nursing bras. It seems to be a ritual every two years, but I wouldn't call it all that ceremonial. Maybe if I got together with a bunch of the girls and we went out for smoothies afterwards, that might make it more fun. But, nope. Instead, I made fast friends with the woman behind the counter at Motherhood Materinity and didn't think twice as she hoisted my arms out from my sides in the middle of the store and started measuring the girls. Turned out my estimate was right. Big, and only going to get bigger. By the end of the excursion, I was modeling one of the styles for her in the dressing room, asking, "This really is too big, right?", like I've never done this before.

Come to think of it, never even got her name. But I think she owes me a drink now.

Anyway, I did learn a good life lesson in keeping my options open. While surveying my non-underwire options hanging behind the counter, she she suggested a sports-bra style to me.

What, do you think I'm actually going running after this baby is born? For two weeks, just getting around the house is workout enough!

I smiled and pointed out the rather lovely looking, structured version hanging next to it. She gave me a couple of sizes in that one, the sports bra, and a third that has about as much support as the Moby Wrap I'm considering getting for the baby.

Smug as a bug in a rug, I delved into my choice in undergarments.

Who was I kidding??

These things should have been hanging down at Vicki's Secret for all that they're going to hold! Now, if I was to find myself several months post partum in a smoking hot dress that showed off the working gals, then sure, that's the way to go.

But, when I know I'll be suddenly engorged, with hot flashes, hormones that make me cry constantly, and a baby who just isn't getting this nursing thing down yet because s/he's intimidated by the size of the portal through which food cometh... we need comfort and we need it fast.

So I reached for the sports bra.

Lets just say when I came out of the dressing room, she smiled and said, "So?", and I hung my head, held up the sports bra and said, "I'm eating my words. This thing is fantastic."

But wait, there's more:

Color options.

Thankfully, they don't go far beyond white, black and nude. Actually, they don't go beyond it at all. Saleslady-who-knew-too-much-about-me-while-I-knew-nothing-about-her suggested black.

Um, no.

Wearing black nursing bras (at least this early in the game) is akin to wearing materinity thongs. And you all know what I think about maternity thongs.

So now, I have four new, white nursing bras. And I'm looking forward to using them. Because that will mean that this little one will be enjoying life on the outside instead of wreaking havoc on me from the inside. And, s/he will be wearing those adoreable, tiny diapers that I picked up today as well.

6 comments:

Geraldine Erikson said...

I love my sports bra ones to sleep in. Some times the girls need to be tucked in at night.

Anonymous said...

Anne, seriously... are you drunk? Or is this literally what pregnancy does to women? Don't stop mind you, it's hilarous! But are you even a little drunk...? ;-)
love,
Your Sister

Anne McD said...

I can only wish. I did pick up a big box of Mike's hard lemonade at Costco the other day. I had one today after I accidentally locked Will out of the house. Thankfully, he knew to ring the doorbell. Nothing makes you feel like a piece of crap faster than doing something like that...

Torey said...

You.are.hilarious. I'm seriously LMAO over here. Thank you, thank you, thank you for making my day. :) I really needed a laugh.

Anonymous said...

"the working gals."

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! THAT was great. How did I know you had a new post? Jason told me. I think you fried his brain on this post. Poor Jason.

lj tanner said...

All males read this blog at their own peril. By now he surely knows what he's getting into.

This was most amusing. I must agree with saleslady though. The white option seems nice and sharp and crisp, but that sensation only lasts for 5 minutes after the rare postpartum shower. Black will hide the inevitable discoloration that comes from small milk and/or Lansinoh contact with the fabric. Black is my friend.

Never referred to my mammaries as "the girls" over here. I think they need more personality to earn naming, and they only have that for 2-3 months postpartum when they are busy working in a more mundane fashion and not really in the mood to play. Sigh.