Friday, March 25, 2011

Well, since you asked...

Or, at least, Jason did, I think I should write SOMETHING on my poor, neglected blog!

Hi.

Man, its been busy, but I'm sure you can all commiserate. Since I took on the role of both Troop Coordinator of our American Heritage Girls Troop AND being pregnant in the SAME day, I've been walking around the house mumbling to myself, "what do I need to do? I need to do that, but I have to do that, and I really don't want to do that, and if I don't go eat something now, I'm gonna get sick, and man, I need a nap...."

So, what's working, and what's not around here.

Schooling. Ugh. Not working. I'm stuck in a "what am I supposed to do now" kinda quagmire with the kids that I think (hope, pray!!!!) will change now that I am changing how I'm doing schooling. Here's the problem (with much much of my life): I'm perfectionist. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the good ones who compulsively does everything so everything is perfect. If I can't do it perfectly, I don't. And then things don't get done. Now, with the new homeschooling, they'll test the kids, tell me where they are, tell me what texts to use, and then I can check in with my advisor once a month to go over our progress.

Insert choirs of angels singing here.

Oh, something else that is working, or should I say someone else-- some nice lady came to my house last week and worked for five hours cleaning the mess around here and she did such a nice job that I decided to give her a check as my token of appreciation. She was so nice, that she offered to come back in two weeks and clean my kitchen and bathrooms, and she might come back again two weeks after that. I'm so excited, that I might give her another check to say thank you. This works. And I can see out of my shower door now. Life is good.

Oh, and someone is coming on Monday to tell me how to organize my sock drawer and stuff like that. Are the angels getting louder, or is it just me?

I have to make some sort of schedule for the family to follow so that we actually keep up with cleaning and other stuff like regular mealtimes around here. I read the most interesting blog post the other day. The woman was talking about how for years she tried to write schedules and then force the children to comply with the schedule and how it blew up in her face every time. (Isn't that the way its supposed to work??) Then she had an epiphany-- you can't order a person, but you can order the environment, and invite the people to join in with that order. Fascinating! This is the "aaaaahhh, got it now" for all the advice I've ever head. Kinda like "dinner is at six and if you choose not to join us, you'll go hungry." That was the nugget I always heard, but what I didn't' get was that my job is to make the routine and stick to that, whereas the others (especially the olders) have the responsibility to join in that routine. If you decide to not help with the cleanup before lunch, that's your decision, but I can't allow you to go outside to play after lunch because you'll have to help clean up the kitchen. If that work is finished before outside time is over, then you are free to go, but you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor if you never labor.

I'll let you know how this works out. This woman also spoke of making that "home environment" beautiful as you are doing this, using candles at the table, for instance. I think I should just get rid of a bunch of crap around the house and declare that minimum is goodimum.

Which brings me to the Forty Bags in Forty Days Challenge. A bad a day during Lent to throw out or donate from around the house. I'm on two. And those were my jumpstart bags before Lent started. I.... I was about to say I need to get on the ball, but that would be the perfectionist thing again, right?? Okay, I just need to get up and clean my kitchen. Maybe make a promise to myself that I won't leave the room until I find 27 things to pitch or give away. Like FlyLady's 27 Fling Boogie.

Alrighty, I need to run. So that's what I've been up to--homestuff, homeschool, AHG. Not the most exciting life, but its mine. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, a post. Wooooo!