Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Just a little off the top, Ma'am

We had a haircut night tonight. It all started when Jon realized he needed a trim for his trip to NY tomorrow, which snowballed into my realizing that James was in desperate need of a trim (ha! shearing more like it), and Katie thought the whole idea was really cool and wanted in until she was halfway through her beauty treatment and wanted out.

Some observations that I made:

1. James, though blonde as the day is long, is a hairy little boy. I expect him to be shaving by age 9.

2. I cut their hair b/c I'm cheap. Seriously, at $15 a pop, I'd be paying $60 a trip BEFORE the tip, and some places actually charge more for wigglers. No wonder the long look is in again. . .

3. James and Katie have the EXACT same shade of blonde hair. Like I said, just observations.

4. I have absolutely no business doing something I have not been trained to do. People actually go to school for this and get a degree saying they are qualified to coif. I haven't. Just because I've seen it done, does not mean that I can do it, too. I've seen people decorate entire homes for under $500-- I cannot. I've seen people people weave baskets out of tree branches in under five minutes and sell them for $20-- I cannot. I've seen all sorts of things on the Discovery Channel that I know better than to attempt. But cutting hair-- that personal, first impression, "take one look at my hair and pass judgement on me" kinda thing-- that I take into my own hands.

And they look fine. Curly hair is very forgiving. Katie actually looks kinda cute-- though I did hers backwards (layers first, then took off the length-- oops!), but I only know because I pay close attention when someone cuts my hair. Because I actually pay a trained professional to mess with my head. I'm nobody's fool-- no novice is touching my locks, thank you very much!

I'll have you know, I don't wiggle, but I tip well. I think.

No comments: