Tuesday, July 21, 2009

So, just how much wood could a woodchuck, chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Well, according to Wikipedia, "361.9237001 cubic centimeters of wood per day."

And, why do I know this? Because we Googled woodchucks and groundhogs today when we found one in the backyard.

Seriously, there are some days when I feel like I'm living in an episode of Jack Hannah's Animal Adventures. We've got birds over the front door, in the front tree, and now in a tree in the backyard, a turtle that was hanging out in our front yard a few months back, a family of rabbits that are currently living under our porch but feast on the clover in our backyard, three deer that got stuck in our cul-de-sac last fall and didn't know how to get out of the neighborhood, and now a groundhog.

We're not in the country here, folks, this is suburbia. We took down all the forest in the area to make it so.

oooooooooohhhhhh......

Anyway, this thing is HUGE! Its about a foot long, head to rump. Think of an oversized squirrel. It even did that cute sitting on its back legs thing when it heard us at the back window checking it out. All cuteness aside, I don't know what to do with it. Apparently they are aggressive in nature, so I'm considering calling animal control if I see it there tomorrow. You know, in case it decides that our back yard is now it's turf or something. We're still not sure how it got there, and our fence is open in the hopes that it decides to exit stage right. But, why bother? All the clover is in the backyard.

Just ask the rabbits.

Which, ohmygoodness, look JUST like a chocolate Easter bunny when they hear us coming and sit so still and don't.move.a.muscle.

Its really rather impressive. If those rabbits weren't so furry, I'd try to eat one. Catching it would be tough, though. Will's been trying, and can't seem to do it. Its really cute watching a not quite two year old chasing after rabbits and baby birds who can't fly yet, but can only try to hop out of his way.

So, back to the groundhog. Or woodchuck. Or, as Katie actually correctly identified it when she saw it, at whistle-pig. Its amazing what they can learn from Curious George.

Here's my question. I checked-- no shadow. Does that mean six more weeks of summer, or six weeks until we finally get rain, or six weeks until I have this baby?

No comments: