Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Eew Eew Eew, Gross Gross Gross

So, last week James put a carrot out on the back deck in hopes of catching the cute little (big) rabbit that's been hopping around our backyard.

The carrot is long gone. I'm thinking the rabbit was a mommy rabbit in need of sustinance, because next to the playset she left something.

And the boys brought it inside.

A dead baby rabbit.

Shudder.

It was quickly thrown out, and I was very surprised as to how badly Alex wanted to keep it as a pet. I don't know if he thougth it would come back to life or something, and I explained the whole material vs. nonmaterial soul thing to him as best I could, but still, I was surprised by the tears. I think he's more sensitive than he lets on!

But still, it was a dead rabbit. Ugh.

3 comments:

lj tanner said...

Ah, poor Bugs Bunny.

My neighbor's cat roams freely outside (even though our neighborhood association clearly states that all pets need to be contained in a house, fence, or by a leash.) You see it uses their master closet carpet like a litter box, so it's not inside anymore, but they still provide a food dish in the garage since their daughter claims emotional attachment. Even with the provided cat food, it believes it needs to hunt, and cats will leave trophies as gifts to show their hunting prowess. My children announced one morning that there was a rabbit sleeping on our front walkway, come look out the window! Fortunately it was raining, so they did not actually handle the recently deceased critter/varmint. I thought I was going to have to break the "play nice" neighbor behavior that we have all adopted to get along in our cul de sac and ask one of the owners to remove the carcass. It would have been easy to do myself, just turn the garbage bag inside out, but I was steamed and going to stand up for my rights! My shrubs have become the litter box for this kitty since its being punted from its home, and I'd just had enough! The next morning I went out to demand the bunny's removal, but all that remained was a tuft of fur, white and seemingly from the tail. See, the kitty just wanted to show off what it could do, then it decided to eat its prize. The neighbor-relations crisis was averted, but I think maybe I've held on to a bit of the anger as indicated by the length of this post. Sorry.

You could have buried your baby bunny in the garden and talked about how God brings life from death, cycle of life, etc. Mushrooms and fungus break down fallen trees in the forest so that new trees can grow, and dead baby bunnies can be good fertilizer if one happens to show up next to the swings. I like to wipe my kids tears and teach them realistic ways of looking at things because I won't always be there to hug them. That does not mean that I am not still a hopeless romantic consistently disappointed by the realities of dishes, laundry, and having to balance a checkbook, but I'm trying not to pass on my disease.

Anne McD said...

Lauren, my dear, I think you need a blog.

hee hee hee :)

lj tanner said...

Do ya think? I don't know, I really don't have much to say...