Nope, you didn't miss anything! I've started reading the book Mittenstrings For God, by Katrina Kension. In short, its all about slowing down the pace of life and living in the moment for, and with, your family. It has been a natural complement to my desire to pare down our belongings, with the thought that if we don't have so much stuff, I wouldn't be spending so much time putting it away!
So, why the book report, you ask? Well, Dawn, over at http://dawnathome.typepad.com/by_sun_and_candlelight/"> has begun a bookstudy, and I've decided to jump aboard.
Like I don't have anything else to do! lol!
However, with regards to Chapter 5 of this book, entitled, "Simplicity," I thought about last Christmas, coming down on myself for not getting some very involved craft projects underway with my children. As I stood in the middle of Michael's, I had an epiphany-- its not about me, its about them! They (being such young souls), didn't want to bake a gluten-free gingerbread house from scratch, they wanted the memories of making one from a kit with Daddy. They didn't want a long, involved Advent preperation (though we did discuss what was going on!), they wanted Advent calenders with a little piece of chocolate behind each day! I have to remember that the best memories, holiday and otherwise, are the ones that don't require my setup and excecution, as much as my presence and participation with them.
It is a wonderful little book, and it speaks volumes to anyone, with or without children, about savoring the magic in everyday moments, and the importance of really being there for those you love.
Any other interesting reads you'd like to share?
1 comment:
I love the new look and this sounds like an excellent book. I have recently started The Mommy Manual which is all about incorporating the Montessori method into your home. I'm loving it, and I'm not necessarily a huge Montessori person. It just totally makes sense. Another book that I'm reading no is The Creative Family by the Soule Mama lady. There are fun crafty projects in there to do with the kids.
Post a Comment