Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Great Purge

Someday, dear readers, you will look at me and think, Ha! I knew her BEFORE she was a super organized diva!

It will happen, I promise!

Sick and tired of picking up the same old crap, over and over, I've decided to simplify things around the house. I can't handle all the visual clutter around me all the day, and quite frankly, I don't think the kids can, either! Who wants to sit down and play with something when you have to go find all the pieces first? And really, there are just too many toys to keep straight and organized anyway . . .

So I'm going on attack. I'll keep you updated as to what I'm doing, and hopefully that will keep me moving along! Since I've been keeping up with the kitchen, I'm going to start there today. But before I do, here's a master list of what I'm going through and organizing. You may notice that some entries are ridculously easy, but hey-- if I don't have some instant gratification here, I may get nothing done!

Around the downstairs:
Kitchen
-pantry
-cabinet over fridge
-cabinet over microwave
-cabinet under microwave
-cabinet over coffee pot (notice a trend here. . . )
-cabinet over left counter
-under the sink (gulp!)
-ledge over sink

Library

-go through all random papers, file and trash
-secretary
shelves over secretary
-bookcases (do with bookcases in living room)
-shelves over computer
-clean out hotmail inbox (seriously, its pretty bad)

Family Room
This is actually in pretty good shape b/c I keep up with it
-TV cabinet
-video basket

Living Room
-Bookcases (do with library bookcases)

Dining Room
At the moment, we're in good shape. I organized and purged in here a year ago, and except for the clutter that tends to accumulate on the table, we're in good shape, except for:
-wine rack (I'll have to consult with Jon here-- this is his liqour stash, after all! lol)

Powder Room
-cabinet over toilet
(c'mon, how bad can it get-- its a tiny room!!)


Around the upstairs:
(keep in mind that in a fit of fury on Sunday night at bedtime, Jon and I rounded up all, and I mean ALL, the books and toys from the upstairs and put them in the basement. I've got a few things on the main floor that they are playing with, and amazingly, are fine with the few things we have out.)

Guest Bedroom
-closet (this is where I keep winter clothes and my craft supplies. I have to get real with myself here!
-dresser (here's where I keep gb linens)

Boys' room
-closet
-dresser (I have to get rid of their ugly clothes. They always seem to put on the ugly clothes first . . .)

Katie and Will's room
-closet
-dresser (see above . . .)

Laundry room
-shelf over machines

Linen closet
-go through meds
-org/purge towels

Master Bedroom
I don't want this to be an after thought, but it is a big project, and like I said about the instant gratification, I think the kids rooms will be a good motivation for me!
-my bedside table
-Jon's pile of crap next to his dresse-- I mean, the pile next to Jon's dresser
-my dresser
-closet
-move all the laundry and kids out of season clothes outta here!!

Master Bath
This should be pretty easy b/c I've done a major purge in here before. I just hate cleaning it . . .
-under the sinks
-finally rinse and put away the life jackets that are in our bathtub from our trip to Great Wolf Lodge in February . . .

Wow. When all this is done, I will let you know about the basement. In short, organize and purge toys, organize and purge books, organize and purge storage room, and set up my own craft area in the basement. I read somewhere that its pointless to set up a play room to send the kids to, because they want to be with you. That's why they drag their toys all over the house after you! Therefore, if you want a playroom, set up a room you want to be in. I figure I can keep my things (scrapbooking, etc -- that's another thing to organize and purge!) in the Welsh dresser that LOCKS, and I can be with the kids while they are down there! Easy peazy lemon sqeezy!

Of course, I won't have a perfet house. Its just not possible, especially with little ones. However, I do need a better functioning house, and I really think we can achieve that! Well, I'm off to do the pantry with the help of my little ones. Hopefully, I can teach them some good organizational skills, and hopefully we can all learn that less really is more, and if we help mommy, mommy will be nicer to be around!

And how about you? Need to post any trouble areas as motivation, or share any organizing triumphs (no matter the size-- it all counts toward peace in your home!)

2 comments:

Torey said...

I'm so with you on this one. I totally need to do this too. Of course, I'm already procrastinating and thinking "wouldn't this be a good project for the summer". I admire that you have it all written out.

Anne McD said...

Thanks--I figure if I tell enough people about it, I'm kinda committed! :)-