We had a similar declaration once. When Lucy "graduated" from preschool, all the little 4 and 5 year olds wore cute caps and gowns and marched across a stage to receive a diploma. (puh-leese!! okay, must fight cynicism for the sake of my offspring) Anyways, every little angel was asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, which was great fodder for light chuckles and sweet sighs. I was actually impressed with the answers, which involved normal "Mommy" and "Daddy" responses but also "fireman like my dad" and "I want to study rocks, there are all kind of rocks, some are..." Then came my Lucy, and I had no idea what to expect. The school head Miss Rho leaned over and intoned, "So Lucy, what would you like to be when you grow up?" She replied strongly, "I'm going to be a cowgirl aaaaaaand . . . a vaccuum cleaner!!!"
As you might imagine, the entire gathering broke out into loud belly laughter, and Lucy slunk off to the corner with shoulders sagging and all. She had messed up her big line! She had intended to say, "vaccuum cleaner girl," meaning a housecleaner or "one of those ladies you see at a hotel when you are leaving." I know, high aspirations there, but I love the original line. Vintage Lucy.
7 comments:
:) - Thanks for bringing a chuckle to my afternoon, Anne! It's so nice to be reminded of the innocence and imagination of childhood.
Katie knows what she wants, I guess! :)
We had a similar declaration once. When Lucy "graduated" from preschool, all the little 4 and 5 year olds wore cute caps and gowns and marched across a stage to receive a diploma. (puh-leese!! okay, must fight cynicism for the sake of my offspring) Anyways, every little angel was asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, which was great fodder for light chuckles and sweet sighs. I was actually impressed with the answers, which involved normal "Mommy" and "Daddy" responses but also "fireman like my dad" and "I want to study rocks, there are all kind of rocks, some are..." Then came my Lucy, and I had no idea what to expect. The school head Miss Rho leaned over and intoned, "So Lucy, what would you like to be when you grow up?" She replied strongly, "I'm going to be a cowgirl aaaaaaand . . . a vaccuum cleaner!!!"
As you might imagine, the entire gathering broke out into loud belly laughter, and Lucy slunk off to the corner with shoulders sagging and all. She had messed up her big line! She had intended to say, "vaccuum cleaner girl," meaning a housecleaner or "one of those ladies you see at a hotel when you are leaving." I know, high aspirations there, but I love the original line. Vintage Lucy.
oh my gosh, that is too hysterical!! Okay, everyone, say it with me, Lauren, get a blog . . . lauren, get a blog . . . lauren, get a blog . . .
Lauren,
Get a blog!
LAUREN!!!!!
GET A BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's getting to the point that I'm going to set one up for you! :P
I'll gladly jump on the "Lauren Get a Blog!" bandwagon. :)
Post a Comment