You stiking piece of firehazard crap get out of my house instantly!!
It is done. I really don't want to hear how really, the Christmas season isn't over until Sunday and I really shouldn't be so darn secular and undecorate early. I'm not kidding-- FIRE.HAZARD. I'll keep up the Nativity scene, the wreath on the front of the house and the lighted garland on the stairs.
Alrightly. So, I had this huge, mad post all worked out in my head yesterday about how I dragged the entire dead tree, stand and all, to the curb yesterday, but I'm not going to tell you the details. Blah, blah, boring.
Then I came back to survey the damage. Approximately 30million pine needles all over the really gross carpeting. My vacuum was utterly useless in picking the junk up. Swipe forward, almost cream. Swipe backward, green again. Repeat. Utterly frustrated, I called my mom. She had a couple of good suggestions, but then came her really good one.
"Just, start at the sides, and start pulling it up....."
Yes, we all want to get rid of the carpet and put in hardwoods. Not going to happen tomorrow, though.
I mentioned this to Jon last night and he said, "sure, so long as plywood subflooring counts as hardwood."
Um, no. It doesn't.
But then, the muses came this morning.
First of all, the wet/dry vac came to my rescue. That thing rocks.
Anyway, this next thing harkens back to an idea I had last night. Lets just call it a little game of:
"Decorate My Home!"
This is where post design delilmmas, and you, my very creative friends, give me a really good idea to work with.
Brilliant, I know. I know how to sponge talent like the best of them.
So, where am I going with this? Well, as I was dragging the wet/dry vac around the carpet, I noticed that the carpet was actually coming up on one side of the wall.
Oh, darn.
So, I pulled it up a bit to find a white subfloor.
Then came the idea.
Paint the floor.
I've seen this done before, and I'd need an area rug afterall to "soften" the edges a bit (but I could probably get a single color one at Home Depo...), but, what do you think?
Here's my thought. I'll post some pictures of the room, what I like and don't like, and -- if you don't mind, of course! :)-- you can leave some feedback about what I can do to spruce the place up a bit.
Anyone game?
8 comments:
You would have to verify that your subfloor is actually water-sealed or not plywood before you consider this. If you breathe heavily on pressed wood it begins to lift and warp in unpleasant ways. Also, I bet you have baseboard which would all have to be removed and replaced or at least reinstalled the 1.5 inches lower. Or you could leave it floating above the subfloor and claim that it "lightens" the room.
Aren't I just a cheery breath of fresh air? Good luck!
(Your new Tannenbaum lyrics are just brilliant, by the way.)
Damnit, Lauren....
:)
I'm really not the one to ask about this. I might be able to get you some really good deals on hardwoods though. Check out Clint's website - http://www.handhhardwood.com/
I know you can buy and install yourself, or he'll install for you. And I know he could give you a quote on whatever amazing deal his dad might have at the time. If you aren't really picky about what you want he might have some funky thing like 6 inch cherry that is on sale this week. It all depends on what he is tryig to get rid of. So that's all I have to offer.
Oh, and have you heard of fake trees? They are really easy to clean up after.:) And you could leave it up all year round if you were so inclined.
No suggestions on the floors, but I do have a recommendation in the tree - Frasier fir. My parents have gotten those for the past several years, and they are amazing - no mess (the tree and my parents :) ).
Hmmmmm....I'll have to wait for pictures before I weigh in on the floor idea. Are you talking about the family room (opposite the kitchen)? Do I remember it being a step-down family room? Or am I making that up?
Anyway, don't cave on the live tree thing. This was our 10th married Christmas together, and for the last 10 years Jason ALWAYS says, "That's it, we're never having a live tree ever again!"
But I always get my live tree. I'm the one who always vacuums the damned needles anyway, so what's the problem? Just think of it as a green tree skirt and don't vacuum until you get rid of it! :)
OR put it on a non-carpeted floor. But for the tree that we did have on carpet, I used the hose attachment. That always works well.
Okay, first of all, thank you, Bridget, for representing. Go live or go home, I say. As unbelieveably tempting as it may be to decorate a fake tree and put it away, ornaments and all, I just can't do it. I'm a purist, I'm a traditionalist, I'm a nutcase. I think we just have to start buying our trees from a more reputable seller than Home Depo. Or put a bag under it. Or water it. I'll be back. The kids are fightin.g
Post a Comment