Saturday, January 17, 2009

This deserves a new post

Okay, Facebook, Crackbook, Disgrace book-- I'm intrigued.

I was at a friend's house last night and had her fill me in on all that's hot with it. She showed me how it works, and in the end, it looks like I'm one of 18 people left in the known world who are not on it.

I don't like being left out.

When I got home, I was chatting with the hubs about it, and explained that my contention is that its ONE MORE THING that I"ll get involved with instead of doing the good stuff.

For example-I'm currently trying to put together a shopping list and meal plan so I can get to the market this morning, but stopped on the computer to look up a recipe for a healthy chicken casserole (got one!), checked my email, checked the blog, realzied I had 10 comments on one post (bitchin') and told James I'd read to him as soon as I finished this.

Do I really need to add facebook to all this?

Maybe.

Can I keep myself under control? Can I keep myself from spending hours saying, "I wonder what happened to so and so" who I really don't care about becasue if I did, I'd look them up and call them? Can I afford not to be on it because after snooping around on G's account, I realized that tons of people are on it and I can't even look at my dear sister's page because I have to be a memeber!

This just isn't good for family relations, now is it?

I can also see, Angela, how this would, in effect, even the playing field. If we all have our own pages, we chat, and its not, one person blogs and the rest comment.

Hmmm.

Think, think, think.

4 comments:

Angela Pfister said...

Well, I'm glad to see you take the plunge, Anne. I hope, though, my comment on a earlier post didn't seem like I was hinting at leveling the playing field. :) I thoroughly enjoy your blog - your witty and clever posts and the back-and-forth in the comment section has been fabulous - it has been a way to reconnect with dear friends from those special Christendom days. Now I look forward to having that same fun on Facebook. (Lauren, we just need you to join, too!) It can be a bit of a time-waster, but all-in-all, I have found it a fabulous way to reconnect and/or stay in touch w/ friends and fam near and far. Alright, this comment is turning into a tome of sorts. Enjoy your foray into Facebook!

Torey said...

Well, we all know how it turned out. And that I joined Facebook and probably spent 5 (cough, cough) hours on it today. So embarrassed. But loving it nonetheless!

Thanks Anne. I wouldn't have taken the plunge without you!

lj tanner said...

Why is it that I automatically see a "tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff" when I hear "Think, think, think" and picture that amorphous yellow paw tapping that cute little head? He's a medium-sized bear with a smallish brain, ya know?

Anywho, I can see where this road will end. Maybe I'll sign up on Facebook, but the dust in this house is now all your fault!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard! It's fun. I think you'll like it.