I should have been an interior designer. Not because I''m good at it. Kinda stink at it, actually. But, wow, wouldn't that be fun.
I just watched a couple of episodes of Sarah's House. Sigh. I want to move to the country and fix up an old house with a big budget. I'd love to paint the kitchen cupboards blue (but would NEVER do that here!) and make it "vintage". I would go antiquing and purchase milkglass and use it to hold stuff for the kitchen, and use "frenchy" fabrics. Not too frilly, just comfy.
So, what's stopping me?
I hate screwing up. I really don't like spending money, only to hate the results. Maybe that's why I like this blog so much. She's so down to earth when it comes to decorating her home, and its not about being trendy and expensive-- its about creating a home where everyone feels comfortable. And if she needs the heel of her shoe to hammer in a window "mistreatment" (her word, not mine), so be it.
Maybe I'll be more proactive this year. Maybe I'll take more risks. Maybe, maybe, maybe....
Hmm, this wasn't the original intent of my post, but that's okay. Anyone else have ideas of what they want to accomplish in 2011?
5 comments:
Ahh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the nester. You also might like Young House Love (they have a fun decorating style too).
Oh,I like them, too! Thanks for telling me about them. I totally thought of you when she referenced the Spice Girls ;).
Can I just tell you I have quite a nice little milk glass collection? And I maybe paid $5 total, for everything together. Right now I don't, but I used to have a "pretty things" budget. Milk glas IS pretty and comes VERY cheap at garage sales and church rummage sales (I gave up on thrift stores, they've jacked up the prices so high these days).
And regarding screwing up - if you think what your buying is really pretty, cute, or you just plain like it, how can you mess up?? Once I bought a chartreuse 60's style chair because I saw it at a garage sale and just loved it. It looks great in my house and I get compliments on it. It totally does not match, yet it kind of does.
So in summation to quite possibly the longest comment I've ever made on a blog, I think if you really like something, you can't go wrong. I like Nester too, and I think she has the same philosophy. And don't forget, church rummage sale season starts in the Spring.
Kelly, I refound your blog yesterday-- I so missed it! You're right about the rumage sales-- I need to start there. Realy, that's where everyone gets rid of late gradma's stuff which has that vintage twist I love. I think that's great that you took a chance on the chair. I think I care too much what other people think. How dumb is that!? I have a purple chair that I LOVE (you remember that one, don't you, Torey?) that the kids have all but wrecked, but I heart the shape. Needs to be fixed. I'll post the pic of the chair I did over the summer. I need to start some more projects that I can use as my "hobby time" :)
I always loved the purple chair, and that weird lamp you had. I bet that gold couch would look great reupholstered (if you still have it). Love vintage stuff, and yardsales and thrift stores. Kind of afraid of bedbugs, so I probably won't buy much upholstered furniture secondhand anymore (but lamps, tables, anything wood is okay!). Glad you liked Young House Love; I'm totally addicted to decor blogs. :)
Post a Comment