Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The most wonderful time of the year . . .

Not sure if that's the right name for the post, but oh well.

Lent is a comin' tomorrow, and I'm thinking about what I'm going to do. I want the kids (read: Alex) to know that something is going on, but I'm not going to impose a sacrifice of some sort on him. I remember in grade school, the teachers decided for us that we were going to give up sweets during Lent and watching Mrs. Lala (I kid you not, that was her name!) raid everyone's lunchboxes. Craziness.

So here's what I'm thinking-- I'm going to hit the three major points of Lent: prayer, sacrifice and almsgiving. Prayer, I'm actually going to do it on a regular basis. The daily rosary will happen. Finally. Sacrifice, this was a tough one to figure out. Don't freak out on me, loyal readers-- I'm giving up blogs. Now, I'm not giving up MY blog, I'm just not going to sit and read blogs during the day as a way to escape my children when they are driving me bonkers. I'll check email first thing in the morn and again in the eve, and I'll check in with my friends after the kids are down, but aside from that, they're getting my attention. Again, something I should be doing, right?? And I will write more, not just randomly change the color of my blog! Almsgiving, hmmm, that's tougher. That encroches on the sacrifice I've already done, right?? God's not too big on technicalities, is He? I should probably add to the kids pennies for the poor when I get a hankering for Starbucks and make some Foldgers instead.

But there is something about Lent that has always appealed to me, and I hate coming up to Easter, only to find that I've all but wasted the previous 40(6) days.

Wow. This post wasn't funny at all. Sorry.

Now, I have tyo go feed my neglected children-- and William really has to stop sucking on matchbox cars made in China . . .

3 comments:

Angela Pfister said...

I'm so glad you're back, Anne, and not giving up blogging for Lent! Thanks for the thoughtful reminder about Lent. I can completely relate to not wanting Lent to go by and feeling like you have wasted the time. I have to remind myself that Lent is spiritually like the "good hurt" that comes w/ working out; Easter is so much richer when I make the most of Lent (and truth be told, I don't feel so guilty enjoying my Peeps and jelly beans after having a good Lent). So, here's a prayer for all of us to make the most of this beautiful and challenging season!

Kelly said...

I too do the "too much blog lurking during the day when I should probably be doing other things" thing. So naughty, for sure. That's something I'm going to stop as well.
I can't believe your crazy Mrs. Lala story! On a non-Lent related, but crazy teacher-related story, my first grade teacher, Sr. Maggie, would tape children to their chairs or tapes their mouths shut if they got up or spoke out of turn. Good thing we're home-schoolin, they have nut-jobs in some of these schools ;)

Anne McD said...

Actually, my brother duct taped oven mitts to his son's hands one night when he kept gagging himself and vomiting for fun.

Those poor, stressed out nuns who probably shouldn't have been teaching in the first place!!