(First of all, let me formally apologize in advance to anyone from Kentucky. I'm sorry you're from Kentuky. Hee hee. Just say that a couple of times, Kentucky, Kentucky . . . )
So, Katie is going through the family, trying to figure out this whole "friends and relations" thing.
"You're my mommy," she says.
"Yes I am, and you're my daughter," I respond, "and Alex and James and Will are my sons" I go on, becoming more and more aware of the fact that not only am I getting old and responsible, but I've actually, with the help of Jon, created an actual family, in case there had been any doubt before . . .
"And what's Daddy?"
"Daddy's my husband."
"No, Daddy's your cousin!"
4 comments:
Actually, in kidspeak, husband and cousin could sound similar if not pronounced carefully. Simple error. Funny story, my old neighbors the Scotts met in college in Missouri. David was from Minnesota, and Patricia was from southern Illinois. Now surprisingly her maiden name was also Patricia Scott (convenient for credit cards, checkbooks, etc.). She had a passion for genealogy and was tracing both her and David's family trees back in time. Well, about 5 generations before this one they both tracked back through several moves and shared relations to, you guessed it, Kentucky. And I was so ready to be offended by your stereotyping the genteel folk here in the South. Damn.
Ha! You were thwarted! And we were just in NY last month visiting her "cousins by the dozens," as my dad calls them, so there is a good chance she was saying that.
That is a riot, though, about the Scotts. I thought for a second there you were going to say that they were actually related!
Well, the Scotts actually were related, although pretty distantly huh?
Okay, so I missed the shared relations part. I can't begin to explain how brain dead I am these days. The easiest words escape me when talking. And you thougth my "annerisms" were bad in college! :)-
Post a Comment