Monday, September 1, 2008

Why, yes, that is snot on my shirt, why do you ask?

There seems to be an inordinate amount of green stuff coming out of my sweet little baby's nose the past few days. Honestly, after a couple of sneezes in the morning, I find myself wondring about the gigantic sized sinuses he must have.

Please tell me that I'm not the only mom who grabs her child and wipes his nose on the bottom of her shirt before he can swipe it across a chair or couch.

Please?

Someone???

ANYBODY BUT ME?!?!

Sigh. There's my confession for the day. I am a walking Kleenex. I figure its part of the uniform. You know, shorts and tee shirts in the summer, jeans and long sleeve tee shirts in the winter . . . you see chefs with sauces smeared across their uniforms, grease on the sleeves of a mechanic . . . still no one with me?

I am kind of sick of how I'm dressing these days. This past week, while we were on vacation with a group from our parish, I complimented another mom for always looking fantastic. More specifically, her ability to accessorize. Her hair is done, the chunky necklace and earings match-- and she's got five kids! I joked that her ability to accessorize sets us apart. Didn't someone once say that our ability to accessorize sets us apart from the animals?

Where does that leave me? Hmmmm.

So, while I was picking up dinner the night we got back, I picked up a copy of In Style. Here's what I learned:

I'm not in stlye.

I know, shocker. But I might look slightly better than Mary Kate Olsen. Or at least a little healthier. I digress . . .

Though I don't yet know how to double my wardrobe today, or which jeans will give me a smokin' hot bod (I have to read cover to cover, I haven't gotten to those articles yet!), I do see, however, that my style is more classic than trendy. I hate hobo bags and heels that look like they belong on a greek goddess. I do, however, love nearly EVERYTHING Debra Messing has ever put on. And Calvin Klein. I like Calvin's stuff.

Hey, maybe he makes jeans that will give me a smokin' hot bod . . .

3 comments:

lj tanner said...

Oh yeah, I feel ya on the snot. I have been at this long enough now to have sneaky ways around the evidence though. First you must use your finger or finger/thumb to wipe the nose (yes it will contact your skin, but you always have Purel on hand) and then dispose of the mess. Either use an exposed skin surface, like a leg where it can dry and neither be obvious nor at eye level, or use the INSIDE of the BACK of a shirt. In both cases, better to use the infant/child's leg or shirt since kids are supposed to be messy, and you can still pretend like YOU have it all together with 4 people going in 6 directions at once.

My mother always had travel Kleenex at hand, but not I. Nope, I like to be unencumbered (not possible with 5 little ones, but a girl can dream/live in la-la land) so I don't even bring a diaper bag with me anymore. If Quinn really needs a change (meaning stinky diapers only) I will go back to the supplies in my car where I can lay a seatback flat and change him without worrying about what fatal single-cell life forms we will walk away with. I figure we are already living with the single-cell life forms that have grown in my car, and they haven't killed us yet. Only if it would be really awkward to go back to the car (at a county fair or a professional sporting event) will I carry a diaper with me, and that is only a single diaper in my purse wrapped up inside out, thus discretely enclosing three baby wipes.

You can tell I don't think about these mundane topics very much, I'm waaay more cerebral.

(BTW, on the jeans subject, you want long bootcut jeans with some Spandex content. Thus they will hug your hippy curves, stay slim through the knee, and flare out at the bottom to match your hips at the top. It gives the appearance of long slim legs and nice curvaceousness rather than plumpness, draws the eye away from flaws is what I'm saying. Get a shoe that lifts your heel 2-3 inches, whether boot or mule, and that also adds to the length/slim appearance. You'll feel like a million bucks up those extra 2" and swinging your hips that the stretchy jeans hug just so, I promise.)

Anne McD said...

To Lauren:

#1. Get a blog already!!!! :)

#2. Love the fashion advice, and I will pursue, but please, I'm really trying not to get pregnant again yet . . . !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Every Mom has wiped their kids' noses on their shirts. Yup, ala Lauren, I use the inside of the shirt. (And, heck yeah, I am wiping their noses/faces on their own clothes first!) I mean, c'mon! Have you even SEEN the way I dress?? Oh, and don't forget the shoulder snot! You know, pick up the upset child, comfort them and then realize when your hubby comes home that you have dried snot on your shoulder(s)?? I have only recently bought some new "nice" shirts to wear out. But, yeah, for me, it's t-shirts and shorts over the warm months, and tee shirts (still short sleeve Ts) and jeans or sweat pants in the cold months. I'll put on a "Hoodie" (hooded sweatshirt) if I get too cold in the house. I don't give up wearing sandals until the first snowfall. And even then, I sometimes sneak out late at night to the store wearing sandals and socks! But invite me to a Gala, and I'll bust out the fancy stuff! YEAH! Every day style? What is that anyway?

Lauren, fun advice on boot cut and all that. But, as I recall from our college days, didn't Anne always brag about her "thoroughbred legs"? Anyway, I am considering going on strike until you get a blog. COME ON NOW!!!! Also, isn't it rather amusing that our husbands are in the same Fantasy Football League? :)