Thursday, February 26, 2009

Just for fun

Okay, kids, its your turn!

For the next week, starting tomorrow, Friday, lets record the number of loads of laundry we do in a week.

I want to know who's doing the most.

Kathleen, stop making fun of me RIGHT. NOW.

;)

We'll all report back next Friday with the offical tallies.

I'm going to say Lauren does the most.

The winner can feel free to walk into any retail establishment and pick up the laundry detergent of his or her liking.

At their expense.

How's that for a prize!

12 comments:

Torey said...

Well some of us probably have nice big washing machines. Others of us do not - me. :( But I'm sure that ya'll do more laundry than I do, I only have 2 kids and I make them wear their clothes a while before they get washed. :)

Anonymous said...

I read Torey's comment too quickly and thought she wrote:

"I make them wear their clothes while they get washed."

Anyway, you're on! Starting today, eh? OK!

Anne McD said...

I've already thrown load number one in the wash! I always feel so productive when "the house is working" when I start my day.

doesn't happen all that often, though...

Unknown said...

Oh, it is on! I've got your laundry RIGHT HERE!

lj tanner said...

You are assuming that I actually wash the clothes for all seven people who live in this house. Dear me, no. I instead went for the "accumulate tons of clothing so that you never run out" plan. Hand-me-downs, freebies, fun consignment sales, generous grandmothers, whatever!!! Boy am I paying for it now. Hampers can overflow and spread piles into bedrooms before I actually feel forced to launder. The only thing done with regularity is school uniforms. Sigh.

Before Christmas we did a clothing purge. 4 huge black bags and 4 smaller white ones later, we are only moderately better off. I just gave away 9 big bags 2 years ago, too!! There is more here that still needs to go. (I have trouble giving away little kid/baby clothes, you know, just in case. Rob is trying to help me with this, encouraging me to only keep REALLY nice stuff and give away the very worn and washed items. I just can't keep everything!)

I have at least risen above my former trailer trash tendencies and washed most of the "overflow" piles, though hampers are always full. This of course does not mean that clean clothes are in the dressers. Heavens, no! I have huge piles in my master bedroom, you know, on those upholstered or leather laundry-holder thing-ys. Some people call them chairs, and I've heard tell of others sitting on them to read. Don't know what that's all about, they just hold piles here.

Well, I may be motivated to do all the sheets this week because of your little contest. They haven't been done since....a long time. Can't really disclose that since I don't want DCS knocking on my door!

(Torey: I had an ancient Kenmore pair for years that we bought for $250 from a man moving his mother to a retirement home. Just got my Aspen Green Whirpool Duets with the matching Workstation topper after Thanksgiving. **angels singing** Long time in purgation there, but I'm loving the front-loaders now! They have awesome Deep Steam Clean features that have slashed my pretreat time. I have seriously gained back years of my life!!)

BTW, I use Arm & Hammer h*e Clean Burst detergent and then some purple-y Downy fabric softener, rotating either Amethyst Mist or Vanilla & Lavender. What about you girls???

Also, I already have 3 loads today. First one started at 12:30 this morning/last night. Bring it, Sumojason!!!

Anonymous said...

What? I do laundry! I did laundry just last night in fact. The dog walker apparently took Charlie to the beach, and half the beach wound up on my bed, which was where Charlie rested off his big beach afternoon. As it happens, I also had to vacuum!

Anne McD said...

Oh, I'm not saying you don't do laundry, I'm just saying you're going to laugh at me because the higlight of my blog is counting loads.

I feel like such a domestic nerd....

Torey said...

I was trying to explain that 2 loads of my laundry probably equaled 1 load of someone else's due to smaller washers. So it wouldn't really be fair for me to count my 2 loads. :)

As for washing the clothes on the kids, that might be easier.

I usually use Purex Natural Elements (b/c it's green). I confess, I'm one of those "crunchy conservative" types and I don't even use fabric softener.

We probably only have about 4-5 loads a week. But I will be very curious to see how many Anne, Bridget and Lauren end up doing! :)

Angela Pfister said...

When I was reading Lauren's comment, I seem to recall an exceptionally large pile of laundry in the middle of the second floor of Campion with a certain freshman girl armed with a stain stick and a smile. I believe I have photographic evidence of this event.

Anonymous said...

Jason and I are totally winning so far. FOUR LOADS on Friday alone! HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!! Seriously, I'm not kidding. And I'd say at this point, Torey to count your loads. Our washer and dryer are about average sized, I think.

Anyway, weekends are our laundry party weekends. On top of the usual loads, Jason does all his work clothes and the kids uniforms for the week. So, although we did 4 loads on Friday, it will taper off a bit during the week.

Wanna talk "domestic nerd", Anne? I actually made a chart to put above the washer with each day of the week. We have been using tally marks to keep track. C'mon, admit it, y'all are doing this too!

...Right? :D

Anne McD said...

Oh, my gosh, this is hysterical!!!

Yes, Torey, count them all! I wish I had one of those huge washers, but mine are regular "super capacity" with the agitator in the middle. Whenever I go to my parents house and go to do laundry, I can wash about three shirts and a pair of pants. Here, I can get about a full laundry basket in.

I know what you mean about the clothes, Lauren. My problem is with storage. I'll have to post a picture of my guest bedroom. It is COMPLETELY covered with clothes. I never know what/how much to keep to pass on to the next. In all honesty, Alex wears through so much of his stuff that James gets a lot of new stuff as it is, and its years later before his things get to Will... There's another post/challenge.

Angela, you had me laughing out loud! I remember that! I think your methods may have been the same all along, Lauren, but now you have six times the amount of laundry to do!

And Jason and Bridget, I almost got sucked in! I just told Jon about this and told him that I was going to do all the sheets when he reminded me that the point wasn't to make more work for myself. Killjoy. I'm so glad he brings me back to reality when I need it!

Torey said...

Umm, what is going on with your blog? The main page just has the blog archives and no posts. Just thought you'd like to know.:)