Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Help, my toddler is beating me up!

Seriously, I welcome any suggestions to get a 20month old, sweet little boy who goes all Jeckle and Hyde on me when he unleashes his temper. Ugh.

4 comments:

lj tanner said...

If he's hitting or throwing, grab his hands and sternly tell him "No" face-to-face. When he does the same thing 2 seconds later, firm swat to the diapered tush and repeat the aforementioned "No." When he totally loses it, take him to his crib for 5 mins or however long it takes him to stop crying. By then you will hopefully have regulated your own breathing/heart rate and can scoop him out with a "You can't do _________" and a kiss.

lj tanner said...

BTW, let me know if this works for you, because I still have a 7-year-old that I yell at every day.

Anne McD said...

yeah, I've been doing a version of that. I find it ironic that I slap his hand when hand when he hits me and say, "we don't hit." I've done the tush swat and put him in his crib (which makes him scream more and work himself into a fit of hysteria). Sigh. Someday, they'll be 25 and not hitting anymore.

Torey said...

At 25, they'll be "hitting the bars" instead. Ha, ha.

Maybe don't even do the slap to the hand or bottom, and just go straight to the crib after the second offense?