When doing laundry, always check the pockets.
Always.
Every. Single. Time.
Twice if you're not sure.
I pulled a load out of the dryer earlier this evening and almost screamed. EVERYTHING was covered in this purplish, brownish haze, with streaks all over it.
HUH??? Or maybe more appropriatley, "what the f....?!?!?!?!?!?"
I put everything into a laundry bin and decided to forget about it and run another load through the wash, until I realized that the dryer was now tinted.
C'mon, everyone, say it with me, "ALWAYS CHECK THE POCKETS WHEN DOING LAUNDRY."
I refuse to believe that every one of you checks every pocket every single time you do laundry (sit down, Lauren).
Using the most elbow grease I could muster, I scrubbed away at the dryer with a magic eraser, but when that wouldn't change the drum's color, I decided that it shouldn't interfere with another wash (I hope, I hope, I hope), and I should concentrate my efforts on cleaning out the brown flakes I kept finding (I don't want to know, I don't want to know, I don't want to know .....)
Again, say it with me, "ALWAYS CHECK THE POCKETS WHEN DOING LAUNDRY."
Seriously, Lauren. Sit.
You should have seen me, looking kind of like this, I cleaned and wondered about the source of the "colors." Again, I almost screamed. What else are you going to do when your better end is halfway into a dryer and you look up and see what looks like a small, brown, dead rat hanging above your head. Gaining all the courage I had at the moment, I got a scraper and knocked it down. After close inspection, I realized what it was.
I was suddenly transported back in time to yesterday afternoon, when, for some reason, I made a mental note of one of my children walking across the living room, stop, pick up a crayon that we made last summer that was a bunch of little crayons all melted together, put it in his pocket and continue on his way.
And like most notes I make for myself, I didn't refer back to it.
Everybody together now, "ALWAYS CHECK THE POCKETS WHEN DOING LAUNDRY."
(Lauren, do I need to have a word with you??)
After googling "idotic mother didn't check the pockets before doing laundry", I got a whole bunch of hits on how to get crayon out of fabrics.
One thing I'm glad to know-- apparently, I'm in good company with this one.
I was a little concerned about mixing up the repeadely reccomended coctail of stainfighters that included Wisk, Oxyclean, Shout, Zout and eye of newt, I opted instead just to soak one piece of laundry in warmwater and Oxyclean.
I could kiss Billy Mayes.
This stuff rocks.
Alright. I'm tired of writing. And I have a lot more laundry to soak. But consider this a public service message, from me to you:
Oxyclean is a gift from God (by way of Billy Mayes), and, join with Lauren and me as we recite once more, "ALWAYS CHECK THE POCKETS WHEN DOING LAUNDRY."
5 comments:
I will always check the pockets, I will always check the pockets, I will always check the pockets. And I will go out and buy some OxyClean! (in case I forget to check the pockets).
Glad to hear your laundry wasn't totally ruined. And that you didn't have to apply a toxic potion to your clothes to save them. I had a friend who swore by a Cascade, bleach mixture for taking out stains. I tried it once but realized that the fumes from the mixture were positivly lethal. No stain (or clothing for that matter) is worth risking your health!
Girl, what did I do to get the hates out for me in this post?
I have only had to do the Cascade/Electrasol and bleach mixture one time. It was to remove the pink I thought would be permanently set into two white shirts after I washed them with something red that I swore had been laundered several times already. It was a reminder to start sorting my laundry again, but I must say it was miraculous how white they were by morning. The fumes are rather noxious, but leave them in a bucket in the laundry room overnight and all will be well. (Warning: Only applies to white garments. I claim no responsibility for damage to colored clothing.)
oh, Lauren, you know I love you! I figured you'd come out with a magic potion much like that one!;) --sorry, this is 1 handed...
The worst we have had so far has been chap stick or tissues. There is nothing like opening the dryer and having an empty chap stick container fall out. But the tissues, oh the tissues, they are the worst. Entire loads of laundry covered in little flecks of white tissue. AHHHHHHhheeee!
Awesome! Thanks for the link to kids in the dryer! It cracked me up to think of you totally in the dryer! Ha! Yeah, man, chap-stick and tissues. Ugh. Sometimes a stray diaper gets in the mix too!
Post a Comment